The following learning objectives will guide students’ Art of Wellness LLC experiences both within and beyond its instructional components:
- Use the wellness practices and knowledge they have gained to make healthy choice
- with their time, energy, and resources.
- Learn strategies for prioritizing self-care.
- Learn mindful practices and continue to carrying mindfulness principles
- into their daily lives.
- Gain confidence in reaching out to others when they are struggling and ask for help.
- Develop empathy and offer support to peers who may need encouragement and understanding.
- Practice healthy communication skills.
- Work towards their goals with self-awareness, kindness, and care.
- Learn and practice ways to nurture inquisitiveness, curiosity, and inspiration in the arts and creative endeavors.
Students must enroll in and complete both linked and cohort courses:
FYOS 1001: Becoming A More Mindful Dawg: Mindful Practices in Stillness and in Movement
Offered in the fall semester (1 credit)
Course Description: Providing tools from both Koru Mindfulness and creative dance/movement practices, this learning by doing course will introduce students to mindfulness practices that are focused on managing the unique stressors of life as an emerging adult at university. We will engage in contemplative and playful creative processes that hone the “observing” mind, bringing awareness to the mind and body, and their integral connection. On-campus and community events and performances will be included that highlight and enhance an understanding of this connection as well as to provide an introduction to relevant UGA resources.
- Introduction to Mindfulness, Resilience and Issues of Emerging Adults
- Mindful movement practices
- Historical and current approaches connecting dance/movement and well-being
- Conceptual-based creative, mindful movement
- Final Reflection
- Creative Projects
DANC 2020: Practicing Wellness
Offered in the spring semester (1 credit)
Course Description: Practicing wellness is an experiential-based course that offers an introduction to fundamental wellness principles and the sequenced, guided application of principles to increase health, well-being, and reduce injury in dance students. In this course we introduce mindfulness practices such as meditation and yoga, we discuss what stress is and how we can cope with it, and we encourage healthy habits by having students journal, take a cooking class together, and outline their goals.
- Introduction to Wellness
- Identifying stressors, barriers
- Mindfulness Practices
- Nutrition and Healthy Eating Habits
- Physical Wellness
- Psycho-social Wellness
- Developing Personalized Wellness Practice